School closings: If schools are closed for the day because of inclement weather, an announcement will be made and school-based employees do not report for work. Every effort will be made to make the announcement by
5:30 a.m. Employees in Maintenance and Building Operations and those located at Central Office report for work and arrive as soon as possible depending on safe travel conditions.
- Delayed opening will be reported to the broadcast media by Community Relations.
- NO half-day REACH Preschool classes on days with delayed openings.
- No "zero" period at the high schools.
- No AM Governor's School.
- ROTEC will coordinate with the high schools.
- Check email for any messages from Central Office personnel.
- Principals should call Transportation to discuss whether or not their Field Trips scheduled that day can proceed.
- If a decision is made to delay opening because of inclement weather, essential services (which includes central office staff) will report to work on time and/or arrive as soon as possible depending on safe travel conditions.
Early Closings (due to weather) - All schools will be called by the Office for Teaching and Learning and an email will be sent. Rapid Notification to parents will be addressed by Community Relations.
- No PM Reach Classes - The PM REACH teachers will contact parents to inform them that there will be no pick up for PM REACH program.
- ROTEC will coordinate an early dismissal with the High Schools.
- All RCPS after school activities (21st Century, Adult Education, Title I, PTA meetings, sports, etc.) are cancelled.
- Magic Place (on-site daycare program) remains open unless the school is contacted and told otherwise.
- Off-site programs (West End Center, Presbyterian Center, Boys and Girls Club, etc.) usually remain open unless the school is contacted and told otherwise. If the site is closed, be sure to keep the students at school and call their parents.
- All Principals are to wait until they receive the "All Clear" from Transportation before they leave the building.
- All RCPS Professional Development activities are canceled.
- All essential services (which includes central office staff) should remain at their work site for the normal work day unless specific instructions are provided from the Superintendent's office concerning an earlier dismissal time.